Licensed Journeyperson Electrician
This position is responsible for the installation, repair, and maintenance of electrical systems and streetlight-related equipment. You will work with blueprints to figure out how the systems are supposed to work and use that information to troubleshoot electrical problems and come up with solutions for them.
Don’t wait for opportunities to happen. Own your career! Join the ALS team and get started on a rewarding career with best-in-industry training, equipment, and serious room for advancement.
American Lighting and Signalization (ALS) provides street lighting and traffic signalization construction, maintenance, and emergency response services in the Southeastern and Mid-Atlantic United States. Our major customers include state departments of transportation (DOTs), investor-owned and municipal utilities, commercial retail land developments, and commercial road contractors.
Job Type: Full-Time +, Non-Exempt
Pay: Competitive / Hourly
Medical, dental, and vision coverage starting day one
Company-provided life insurance
Supplemental life insurance with spouse and child coverage options
Choice of voluntary Aflac supplemental insurance programs
Pre-paid legal plan
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Paid time off
Various employee discount programs and resources
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
Plans, coordinates & participates in the electrical maintenance & repair of streetlights and related equipment.
Install, maintain, and repair wiring, electrical circuits, switches, relays, resistors, contactors, lighting, motors, generators, surge arrestors, breakers, fuses, PCL, control circuits, drives, and mechanical equipment.
Troubleshoots and repairs malfunctions.
Must be comfortable working from heights in bucket trucks, snooper trucks, scaffolding, ladders, and aerial platform lifts.
Performs routine bridge maintenance including, cleaning contacts, lamp replacement, limit switch, adjustment/ replacement, and keeping the bridge electrical systems organized and properly working.
Perform monthly Amperage and Megger Ohm reading on electrical motors. Maintains bridge street, navigational, traffic signal & advanced warning lighting.
Operates various tools for the work (various manual digging devices, wrenches, hammers, come-along, jackhammers, drills, ground rod drivers, hand lines, etc.).
Performs scheduled maintenance of bridge components to ensure continuous bridge operations. Maintains span locks and traffic gates.
Completes monthly maintenance logs and reports.
Use of meters and other testing devices on secondary voltages up to 600 Volts.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must be able to safely enter and exit the aerial device and rear-end and maintain weight restrictions for the bucket and derrick trucks as per the truck manufacturer.
- Must be able to work with hands above head for extended periods of time.
- Work efficiently and effectively from heights.
- Must be able to lift, move and maneuver up to 80 pounds on an occasional basis, and up to 10 pounds on a continuous basis.
- Ability to communicate professionally verbally and in writing with supervisors, co-workers, and the public.
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Must be licensed as a Journeyman Electrician through the State of Florida.
- Previous experience with roadway lighting is preferred but not necessary.
- Upon offer, employees may be required to complete and pass a pre-employment drug screen, background, and/or MVR check.
License & Certifications:
- Must possess a valid Driver's license.
- Current CDL preferred or willing to receive valid CDL within 90 days of employment.
- Able to pass/obtain a DOT physical to obtain a DOT medical card.
- Must be willing to travel out of state for emergency storm work.
- RARE (less than 10%): Sitting, Kneeling, Crawling, Color Vision, Climbing Stairs
- OCCASIONAL (up to 33%): Stooping, Squatting, Climbing On/Off a Truck, Climbing Ladders, Pushing, Reading, Lifting to 50 lbs.
- FREQUENT (up to 66%): Carrying, Pulling, Balancing, body-twisting, Hearing/Speech Range, Lifting, lifting to 10 lbs., Manual Dexterity, Speaking Clearly, Walking
- CONTINUOUS (up to 100%): Standing, Sense of Touch, Gripping, Seeing, Reaching, range-of-motion, Depth Perception, lifting over 10 lbs. to 50 lbs., Climbing